Saturday, April 21, 2007

NWN2 - A semi review

Okay, I’m not going to a proper review of Neverwinter Nights 2 seeing as I never bothered to finish it, but, I suppose I might as well tell you guys what I thought of it.

In all, it wasn’t worth it.

Now, mind you, one of the greatest things about NWN 1 was the online play, something that I don’t do, so, I don’t know if NWN2 had amazing online play or not.

Anyways… I think for me the biggest problem was that NWN2’s graphics just annoying. My graphics card, a rather nice one, and one that runs Oblivion fine (it works perfectly, though I’m not sure if it was set to “low” or “medium”), but doesn’t run NWN2??!!!! I mean, IMO, Oblivion has MUCH better graphics, yet, it manages to work on my mediocre PC MUCH better than NWN2… that’s just messed up.

Also, I’m not sure why, but I think I enjoyed NWN MORE than its sequel. The only reason I would ever buy NWN2 over NWN is the fact that you get a proper party, 4 people (actually 5, but the 5th doesn’t come in till mid story). However, your companions are pretty boring, the only one with any real depth is your dwarf dude, to compare this to KOTORII (which is quite logical, since Obsidian made both games), KOTORII, a older game with less variety in your character (only 3 classes, and 6 prestige classes, which are really just good/evil versions of the 3 primary classes with some new abilities) was SO much more fun, why? Because it had depth. Each character had some sort of twist to his background (except one, but that’s out of 9 mind you), plus it FELT epic… and, when I think of it, NWN2 is supposed to feel epic, yet, when I played it, I just sort of felt like it wasn’t.

I could go on, but, I’m not going to… you can read professional reviews everywhere. www.ign.com, www.gamespy.com, www.gamespot.com, etc. so go ahead and read a review there if you want to buy the game… but, from what I’ve played, it wasn’t that great, if I had to review it, I’d probably give it a 6.8 out of 10.

However, mind you, that rating doesn’t include exploring your castle (which supposedly is AWESOME), online play, and completing the single-player campaign.

Now, back to finishing up my Space Marine DOW Dark Crusade Campaign… how I wish I could get 4 squads of termies instead of 2… just two more and I’d be happy, I’d be willing to drop Landspeeders, grey knights (even if they are awesome) and my chaplain for them.

No comments: