Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Aftermath of Holidays

Well… holidays are over now. I’m back to school. Had a great time with my friends, got to see Brian and Caleb again. It’ll be the last time I see both of them for a decent bit I’m afraid. Hopefully Brian’ll be here for my graduation (which is about 18 months from now), but I have no clue when I’ll see Caleb again. He’s not coming back for this summer, and he’ll be in Samoa and doing a DTS for the rest of next year. If I’m lucky, he’ll apply to Baylor and maybe, just maybe, he can be my roommate. But he doesn’t seem to want to do that… I’m not sure why, but whatever. As long as he ends up in the States I’m sure I’ll get to see him. As long as he doesn’t go to the West Coast that is… unless he offers to put me up…

The holidays were fun, yes. I played a lot of DotA and Fallout 3. I discovered something while playing DotA with my brother… my brother does something that very few players in the cafes enjoy doing: he’s balanced intelligence heroes. He played Shadow Shaman and Tormented Soul, constructed his own builds for these heroes and managed to play with them very well. He nuked everyone to death properly with Tormented Soul and buffed like a proper buffer with Shadow Shaman. It was very nice. It’s a shame we’re not good enough to compete in tournaments, because it’d be cool if we could. Actually, we’d have a decent team. Michael: Intelligence support. Me: Killer (okay… I’m not amazing, but I can play several killers decently) if not killer, a carry hero like Sniper or Razor. Derek: Tank OR Killer Jacob: Something else… and now all we need is another player so *insert one of Derek’s or Jacob’s DotA playing friends*.

Fallout 3… is pretty good. I must admit, I like Oblivion’s leveling system a lot more, I think it’s the best leveling system for computer RPGs ever invented (it could work with Pen n’ Paper games, but it would be much harder to implement). However, the game is good. Combat is fun, and the setting is well done. Someone on PbP house expressed interest in playing a fallout game there and if I had the time, I would have signed up, but as it is, I do NOT have the time… but that would have been amazing.

What else… well, nothing really. I’ve been roleplaying a lot. All my games on PbPhouse are going along fine, and I really am enjoying all of them, some more than others, but I’m glad I’m in all of them. I think if I had to pick a favorite game, I’d say the Fireborn game. I. Love. Fireborn. My DnD game is really fun as well, but its moving a slower pace than I would like. It’s find funny how when I’m a GM I prefer a relaxed pace, but as a player, a faster pace is my preference. However, I do have to say that the Star Wars game I’m in is almost too fast. We’ve moved at, literally, a lighting fast pace. It’s good, since we have a lot of ground to cover, but it’s also bad because I find that the pace is a bit too fast for my taste. That being said, I love the game and like some of the PCs. Shame we seem to have more a group more inclined towards “roll playing” and a campaign that encourages this too boot. However, I do know that we have at least two players who are interested in “role playing” a decent bit, plus I know the other players CAN roleplay if they feel like it, they just don’t seem to.

Oh well... maybe the game will fall apart and then I can go off and join another game… there is a Master’s of the Universe game shaping up, that game seems to be very entertaining.

And that seems to be all I have to blog about right now. I’ll write more later.

No comments: